Thursday, February 20, 2014

Confidence and Respect


Who among us is happy with how they look?  Anyone?

If you don't hear people shouting it off the rooftops, here's why. 

Tabloids, doctors, celebrities, "popular kids" in school, everyone has at some point either shamed or glorified one type of figure, one weight bracket, or a certain "look".  This causes us in turn to look at ourselves and think "something is wrong with me, who I am, because of my appearance".  But it's not just weight guys, oh no, it's the shape of your nose, your eyes, your skin color, your hair color, your hair texture, even down to the way you smile and walk.  I for one am over it.

The way people treat you, is a testament about who they are as a human being. It is not a statement about you.

I make a conscious effort to not speak ill of anyone based on how they look.  Not to demean someone on what they eat, the clothes they wear, their hair, or their body.  It's not about that. It's about who you are as a person.  How you treat someone shows your character, and time and time again when I hear people make a negative comment about my race, gender, or appearance I think "it's not me who they're putting down, it's themselves."  As hard as that can be to do sometimes, it's true in every situation.  They aren't demeaning my character, who I am as a person, only what they can see when they look at me.

I think if everyone took the amount of negative things they say about a person base on physical appearance alone, and cut them out of their days, we could all benefit.  One more smile could shine through, one more person could feel comfortable to be who they really are.

I challenge all of you out there to try it.  Just for one day, longer if you can, cut out every bad thing you would say about someone's appearance, and instead just keep your mouth shut, or better yet turn it around into a positive thing.  See how differently you could approach people, and how differently they would approach you if you complimented them instead of put them down.

Do you think you could do it?  Do you think it could help?  Would it have helped if someone said nice things to you instead of the negative things?

No comments:

Post a Comment